Classic Rice Krispies treats enhanced with a couple of extra ingredients get fun patriotic decorations for Memorial Day or the 4th of July!
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 10-ounce package of marshmallows (about 4 cups)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (or similar brand)
- 1/4 cup blue melting candy wafers
- 1/4 cup red melting candy wafers
- 2 plastic sandwich bags
- Patriotic sprinkles
- Rub a little softened butter onto the sides and bottom of a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan on low heat, melt the butter. Add the salt and vanilla extract. Stir.
- Add the marshmallows and stir using a nonstick spatula until they are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the cereal and use the nonstick spatula to fold the cereal into the melted marshmallows, being carefully not to crush the cereal too much.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared 9x13 pan. Use the spatula or clean hands to press the mixture evenly into the pan. You want to press down so that the cereal sticks together, but don't compress it too tightly - this will help the treats stay gooey and not tough.
- Allow to cool and set up. Cut into 12 2-inch squares. Transfer squares to wax paper or a baking sheet so that you can have a little space in between each one.
- Place the blue wafers into a sandwich bag. Microwave in 20 second increments until the wafers are melted, squeezing with your fingers after each time to help smooth them out.
- Cut a tiny corner off of the sandwich bag and drizzle onto the squares, moving from corner to corner.
- Repeat step 7 and 8 with the red wafers, drizzling in the opposite direction to create a criss cross pattern.
- Top squares with patriotic sprinkles and serve.
Drizzling the melted candy after cutting the squares will prevent the drizzles from breaking off when cutting the treats.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: rice krispies, 4th of july, memorial day, red white and blue