- 1lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 25oz jar arrabiata pasta sauce, or similar spicy sauce
- 2 cups coarsely chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1 15oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Big pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tube of prepared polenta (24 oz)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, for topping
- In a large saucepan, brown the sausage over medium-low heat, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks. Once fully browned, drain well and add the jar of pasta sauce and the mushrooms. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Slice polenta into 15 equal slices.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. In 9x13 baking dish, spread a small amount of the sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Place the polenta slices on top of the sauce, and then cover with the ricotta cheese mixture and spread evenly.
- Pour the rest of the meat sauce on top and bake on the center rack of oven for about 30 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly.
- Remove casserole from oven and top with desired amount of mozzarella cheese. Return to oven until cheese has melted.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins