These sausage balls are made from scratch without the use of a premade baking mix. The use of sage sausage and sharp cheddar gives them lots of bite! Makes enough to feed a hungry party crowd.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (see notes)
- 1 pound sage ground pork sausage
- 3 TBS unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and baking powder.
- Add the cheese and toss until coated.
- Add the sausage, melted butter, and milk. Mix well - I find that using clean hands to mix the ingredients together works best.
- Form mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a large lightly-greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until browned and cooked through. Serve fresh.
Do not use pre-shredded cheese. That type of cheese has a coating that will hinder the sausage ball mixture's ability to stick together when forming the balls. Grate cheese from a block instead.
If you use regular sausage, add 1 tablespoon rubbed sage to the mixture.
You can freeze unbaked sausage balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet and freeze for one hour, and then transfer the balls to a zip top freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months for best quality.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Starters
- Method: Oven
Keywords: appetizers, sausage balls, holidays