- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 TBS animal fat, shortening, or butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coarsely ground oats
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the fat with the milk and salt. When butter is melted, remove from heat, add the oats, and mix until fully combined.
- Turn dough out onto a cutting board and shape into a rectangle about 1/4" in thickness. Cut into sections as desired.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add the bannocks to the skillet and cook until golden on each side, 3-5 minutes.
- If you're going for authentic, serve bannocks plain, dipped into a stew rich with root vegetables, or spread with butter and a wild berry jam.