Sloppy Joes that are meant to be eaten with a fork! All the flavors of the classic favorite in this easy scoop 'n serve casserole.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup of your favorite ketchup
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth, or more as needed
- 1/2 loaf stale French bread, cut into cubes *see notes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9x13 dish and add the bread cubes. Set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, season the ground beef and brown, breaking into crumbles as it cooks. Remove beef to a plate and set aside. Drain out all but about 2 tsp of the grease.
- Add the onion and bell peppers to the skillet. Cook until the onions translucent and aromatic. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the Worcestershire, mustard, tomato sauce, and beef broth. Cook until heated through and mixture comes to a simmer.
- Pour mixture over the bread crumbs and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. If it looks like the bread cubes have soaked up enough of the Sloppy Joes mixture that it appears dry, drizzle on a small amount of extra beef broth. Different breads of different levels of toast/staleness will soak up different levels of liquid, so just make sure that the mixture appears nice and wet - not dry and not too soupy.
- Bake on center rack for about 20 minutes - serve warm.
*If you only have fresh French bread, just put the cubes on a baking sheet and bake at 325, checking every 5 minutes or so, until the cubes dry out.