A rich and delicious classic southern gravy that can be used for serving over breakfast or dinner items.
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter or grease. Sprinkle flour on top and whisk constantly until a smooth paste is formed. Continue whisking and cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk and whisk to remove any lumps. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking and stirring until gravy thickens.
- Season with a few shakes of salt and pepper, stir, taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve warm over fried chicken, country-fried steak, fresh biscuits, etc.
OXO flat whisk - flat whisks are awesome for maneuvering in a sauce pan and getting all of those lumps out of your gravy.
1.5 quart stainless saucepan - An all-purpose stainless steel saucepan for making this gravy or a number of other things.
Adorable bacon grease container with strainer - I LOVE this cute container for straining and keeping bacon grease!
- Recipe can be doubled or tripled as needed.
- You can add additional seasonings as desired such as onion powder, garlic powder, or a pinch of cayenne for some heat.
- Other sources of fat such as vegetable shortening (crisco), lard, or vegetable oil can be used.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stovetop