This is the most perfect baked beans recipe ever, bursting with flavor with the perfect balance of spices and sweetness. Bring them to your next family cookout and everyone will beg you for the recipe.
- About 8 slices of raw bacon
- 4 15oz cans of Pork and Beans
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce *
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 TBS yellow mustard
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 5 drops liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Cook bacon using your preferred method (oven or stovetop) and set onto layered paper towels to drain. Reserve a couple tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Heat reserved bacon grease in a large deep sauté pan and add the onions. Cook on medium heat until onions are translucent and fragrant, and then add the minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Pour the liquid off the top of the pork and beans and discard. You want there to be a little liquid left, so do not fully drain or rinse. Add the beans to the sauté pan with the ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and pepper.
- Chop the drained bacon coarsely and add to the pan. Mix all ingredients together and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish. Bake on center rack for about an hour until nice and bubbly and a slight skin begins to form on the top.
You can alter the sweetness of this recipe by choosing either a sweet or smoky/savory sauce.
Add a little less ketchup and brown sugar than is indicated in the recipe, stir and taste, and add more until your desired level of sweetness has been reached.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stovetop and Oven