This rose-scented sweet cream ice cream is filled with chopped pistachios, bits of luxurious Turkish Delight candies, and garnished with beautiful dried rose petals.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons dried rose petals, plus more for garnish
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup rose-flavored Turkish Delight candies, chopped into small bits
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add cream and milk. Heat to steaming, but don't allow mixture to boil.
- Add rose petals and stir lightly. Cover the pan, remove from heat, and steep for 45 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove rose petals from mixture, then return to heat and bring back to steaming.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Temper the eggs by streaming 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture while whisking constantly. Then add everything to the saucepan.
- Fit pan with a candy thermometer and increase heat to medium. Allow to heat to 170F - 175F or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Stir in vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- Strain custard through a fine mesh strainer into a clean heat-resistant bowl and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, letting the plastic touch the top of the custard. This will prevent a film from forming.
- Chill custard for 8 hours, overnight, or at least until it reaches 42F or colder.
- Fit ice cream maker with freezer bowl and turn it on to start it turning. Add the custard to the ice cream maker and as it starts to church, sprinkle in the pistachios and Turkish Delight. Allow to churn for about 20 minutes (but follow the instructions for your individual ice cream maker)
- Transfer soft ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 4 hours before serving. Garnish with additional pistachios and rose petals as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes + chilling, churning, and freezing
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop and Ice Cream Maker