- 4 TBS unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 TBS shortening
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS flour
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Extra white and semi-sweet chocolate chips for drizzling, optional
- Festive sprinkles for decorating, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 6" round cake pan and place a circle of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix together the butter, shortening, and brown sugar until the mixture starts to look fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla and continue mixing until well combined.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. With the mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing until just combined with a few streaks of flour visible.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips (this will finish mixing the batter and remove remaining flour streaks). Press the dough into the cake pan and press flat on top. Top with sprinkles if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until desired golden color has been reached. Take the cake out early for a more gooey cake, or let it get a little darker for a crunchier exterior.
- Allow cake to cool completely and then remove from pan. Decorate with drizzles and additional sprinkles if desired (see notes)
For an easy chocolate drizzle, place a few tablespoons of chocolate chips in the bottom corner of a ziploc bag and microwave in 15-20 second increments until chocolate is melted, massaging the outside of the bag with your fingers between each increment. Immediately snip a tiny corner off of the bag and squeeze onto cake.