- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (cream can be used for a richer version)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Boil potatoes in water with salt until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain.
- In mixer bowl, combine sour cream, egg yolk, salt, pepper, and chicken broth (or cream) with potatoes. Mash until smooth.
- While potatoes boil, brown and crumble ground beef in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper. Season meat with salt and pepper. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add chopped carrot and onion to the beef. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In another small skillet over medium heat melt butter and add flour until a roux is formed. Whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy for 3-5 minutes.
- Add gravy to meat and vegetable mixture. Stir in peas.
- Preheat broiler to high. Fill a casserole dish with meat mixture and cover with potatoes.
- Top potatoes with paprika and broil until potatoes are brown.
- Remove dish from oven, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.