- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 TBS rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS pickled ginger, minced
- 1 tsp red chili paste
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- Boston bibb or butter lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook the ground beef and break into tiny pieces with a spatula. When almost no pink remains (it'll finish cooking later), remove the beef to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Drain most of the grease out of the pan, reserving about a teaspoon. Add the onions and cook until softened, and then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and chili paste. Stir to combine.
- Heat for a few minutes and then return the beef to the skillet. Add the green onions and continue cooking until green onions begin to soften and beef is fully cooked. Stir in the sesame oil and serve on lettuce leaves topped with chopped peanuts