- Approx. 3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 TBS butter, melted
- 1 recipe homemade Cream of Chicken soup substitute
- 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or more to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (mild or sharp)
- Lightly spray a glass 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the prepped potatoes in half and place them in a large pot. Cover with water and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes. You don't want them completely tender - a fork should pierce them with a little bit of resistance. While the potatoes come to a boil, prepare the Cream of Chicken substitute (see link above for recipe).
- Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool. While they are cooling, pre-heat the oven to 375F.
- When potatoes have cooled enough to be able to handle them, grate them into a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the melted butter, Cream of Chicken substitute, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the soup mixture over the potatoes and add the green onions and half of each of the cheeses. Fold everything together and transfer to the prepared 9x13 baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
- Top with additional chopped green onion if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins