- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 TBS white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 6 TBS butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups chocolate chips, dark or semi-sweet
- 3/4 cup candied/crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, or grease and flour.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground ginger.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine melted butter, egg, buttermilk, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and stir just until no streaks of flour remain. Fold candied ginger into mixture.
- Divide batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each compartment only halfway.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the batter.
- Fill the compartments to the top with remaining batter, and sprinkle the top with the remaining chips.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If you used muffin tins, remove from pan immediately and let cool on wire rack. If you greased your tin, let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before attempting to remove, and then cool the rest of the way on rack.