- Lemon Bars:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Coconut Frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 jar (7oz) marshmallow cream or fluff
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- Flaked coconut, for topping
- Sprinkles or sugar pearls for decorating (optional)
- Lemon Bars:
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a light metal 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, combine white sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with your fingers.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, add the butter to the lemon sugar and beat together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat until fully combined. Next, add the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and continue mixing until smooth.
- Using a low mixer speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Evenly spread the cookie dough into the prepared pan. Bake on center rack for 12-14 minutes, or until the bars are no longer jiggly in the middle and the edges are just starting to brown. The bars will be done before the tops start to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Marshmallow Coconut Frosting:
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the room temperature butter, marshmallow cream, and coconut extract together until smooth.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until fully combined and no lumps remain.
Spread frosting over cooled cookies, top with flaked coconut, and cut into bars. (see notes)
Instead of spreading the frosting onto the bars, you may choose to pipe dollops of frosting onto the cut bars as I have done in the photos. If you choose to do this, I recommend increasing the frosting by 50%, or doubling it, since piping will use more frosting.