- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1.5 cups nuts of choice (peanuts, pecans, cashews, etc)
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (see notes)
- 1.5 tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 250F
- Spread popped popcorn and nuts into a large roasting pan, or divide between two pans.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until mixture comes to a boil. (see notes for increasing caramel!)
- Continue boiling for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in baking soda. Allow to cool for a few minutes until the mixture is no longer hot, but just warm (don't let it get too cool or it will start getting hard!)
- Pour warm mixture over popcorn and nuts and stir well so that the popcorn is coated.
- Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer popcorn to wax paper using a large non-stick spatula, don't break into chunks.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, melt chocolate chips with shortening in the microwave in 30 second intervals on 50% power, stirring after each one. Alternately, you can melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Using a fork or spoon, generously drizzle chocolate over the popcorn and let stand 3-4 hours until chocolate is set. Break into pieces and enjoy. Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place.
* If you want a more total covering of caramel, increase the caramel ingredients (brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda) by 50%
* Because authentic Moose Munch is also available in milk chocolate varieties, you can experiment with different kinds of chocolate chips here!