- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, fresh and at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 225º.
- Cover 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. If you don't have any, you can lightly spray with cooking spray and then dust with powdered sugar.
- Scrape the delicious insides from the vanilla bean. Save the outside - you may be able to use it for something else.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl of mixer, and mix at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Increase speed to high, and start slowly adding the white sugar, followed by the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla bean insides and the vanilla extract. Fold into mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 60-70 dollops onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake at 225º for about 90 minutes.
- Turn oven off and allow meringues to cool and dry in the closed oven for an additional 90 minutes, or until dry.
- Carefully remove the meringues from paper and store in airtight container in a non-humid area.