- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 4oz jar pimentos, drained (see notes)
- 1 6oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup (generous) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups milk (any variety)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 12oz bag frozen cut broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- Approx 1.5 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast (about one medium breast)
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and add chopped onion. Cook until mostly translucent and then add pimentos and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Slowly add the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to remove any flour lumps.
- Stir in both cheeses and mix until melted and smooth. Add frozen chopped broccoli and cooked chicken and cook 5 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish and add the veggie and chicken mixture. Sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs and bake for about 40 minutes until bubbly and the bread crumbs have browned
- You can double the amount of pimentos if you wish. I used the small jar because I wasn't sure if my kiddos would like them!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins