- 2 cups self-rising yellow or white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 TBS white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 1/3 cup of oil + 1/4 cup of oil for pan
- 12 inch cast iron skillet
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees with cast iron skillet inside.
- Mix first five ingredients with 1/3 cup of oil by hand until just incorporated.
- Remove skillet from oven and pour remaining 1/4 cup of oil into the skillet. Immediately pour cornbread batter into the skillet (it'll sizzle a little bit) and return to the oven.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes (do not over bake - your oven may vary)
- Remove skillet from oven and allow to rest on stovetop for a few minutes.
- Invert bread onto a plate and cover with foil - allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.