- 4 bell peppers, orange or red
- 2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1lb extra lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 7 oz. crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and stem, and place, cut side up, on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Brush 1 TBS olive oil on top of the peppers and place them in the oven. Roast for 6-7 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a large skillet, add the onions and garlic and cook until softened. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking into small pieces with a spatula, until mostly cooked through (it's okay if some pink remains - you don't want to dry out the turkey)
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and then the crushed tomatoes. Let simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- Stuff the peppers with ground turkey mixture, sprinkle cheese on top and bake for about 20 minutes, until the cheese has melted.