- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 TBS for currants
- 4 TBS sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 4 TBS (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup dried currants
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and mix on low speed until everything is combined.
- In another bowl, beat together the buttermilk, egg, and orange zest. Slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and beat on low speed. In a small bowl, toss the currants with 1 TBS of flour and mix into the dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a board covered in a good amount of flour and knead it a few times into a round loaf. The dough will be very loose and wet. Place the loaf on the sheet pan. If desired, cut an X into the top of the bread with a serrated knife. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. The loaf will sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a baking rack. Can be served warm or at room temperature.