Layers of peanut butter oatmeal cookies, even more peanut butter, and chocolate frosting make these bars a rich, delicious treat.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Layer:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (4 TBS) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 TBS milk, any kind
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted to prevent lumps
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the butter with white and brown sugars for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, eggs, and 1/2 cup of the peanut butter. Mix until combined.
- Add the oats, baking soda, and salt and mix just until combined - do not overmix.
- Spread dough into the prepared baking pan and press into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- While the cookies are still hot, drop the remaining 3/4 cup of peanut butter over the top and let it sit for a few minutes to get soft and melty. Spread peanut butter into an even layer. Allow to cool.
- While the pan is cooling, make the chocolate frosting. Combine the butter, milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar and mix until smooth and not lumpy.
- Spread chocolate frosting over the top of the bars and let it sit for an hour or two to set up (the frosting will always be a little soft).
- Use a hot knife (run the blade under hot water) to cut into squares. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
I recommend using natural peanut butter with no added sugars to keep the bars from becoming too sweet (use no-stir varieties or make sure you stir it well)
You can use quick or instant oats if you do not have old-fashioned, but they will be softer in the cookie layer.
You can double this recipe for use in a half sheet pan.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: lunch lady, school cafeteria, peanut butter cookies, peanut butter bars, oats, chocolate frosting