- 2 tsp olive oil or canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 TBS curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 large carrots, rinsed, peeled, and chopped
- 4 cups chopped apples (3-4 apples) *see notes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter *see notes
- Chopped peanuts and freshly-ground black pepper for topping, optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot, add the onion, and cook until soft. Add the curry powder, salt, and the bay leaf and stir together.
- Add the chopped carrots and apples, stir together with the onions and spices, and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook until the carrots and apples are very soft, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer (carefully!) the solid pieces to a blender and then return the puree to the broth.
- Stir in the peanut butter until fully incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts and a small dash of black pepper, if desired.
* You can alter the sweetness of the soup by choosing your apples accordingly. I used a mixture of Honeycrisp and Gala because that's what I had in my kitchen that needed to be used!
* You don't want to add too much excessive sweetness with the peanut butter, so choose a natural one that does not have added sugar in the ingredients list.