- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 8 ounces pitted dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups crisped rice cereal
- Powdered sugar, for dusting or rolling
- Make sure the dates and pecans are chopped very fine - I recommend using a food processor. Do not use the pre-chopped dates with the coating on them that prevents them from being sticky, or your balls won't stick together.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, cook the butter, granulated sugar, and the dates until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, pecans, and cereal. Use a non-stick spatula to combine everything. Let the mixture cool for several minutes.
- Use your hands and form the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place the balls on parchment paper or a baking sheet. Dust lightly with powdered sugar (or you can roll them in a bowl of powdered sugar) and store in an airtight container.