- Baked Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash, whole
- Lower Calorie Alfredo Sauce**
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan, grated
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups warm chicken breast, cooked and shredded*
- Baked Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 375F. Pierce the squash in several places and place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 45 min - 1 hour, rotating the squash halfway through. Squash is done when you can pierce it easily with a butter knife and it feels soft inside (the skin will always be a bit tough to get through, so don't judge doneness based on the thickness of the skin). Do not over bake.
- Remove squash from the oven and, carefully and while using oven mitts, immediately cut the squash in half with a large knife to let the steam escape. Allowing the whole squash to sit for too long without cutting it open will cause the squash to be watery. Spoon out the seeds and discard.
- Allow the squash to cool for about 10 minutes and use a fork to fluff out the "spaghetti".
- Lower Calorie Alfredo Sauce
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add minced garlic and cook for about a minute. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the oil and garlic and stir while cooking for one minute more.
- Slowly add the broth and cashew milk while stirring constantly until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow to cook for 2 minutes, continuing to stir, until sauce thickens.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the room temperature Greek yogurt in small amounts, stirring after each addition until fully combined.
- Place the pan back onto the heat, add the grated Parmesan, and stir until cheese has melted. Taste and add salt and pepper until flavored as desired.
- Dish spaghetti squash onto plates, top with the warm shredded chicken and sauce, and serve immediately.***
- cup of spaghetti squash has 31 calories and about 5.5 net carbs. 1/4 of the sauce and chicken is about 300 calories and 12 carbs.
*I like to cook chicken breasts in the slow cooker, just covered in water, on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is very soft and is easily shredded with a fork.
** Depending on the size of your squash, you might want to double the sauce recipe if you want to make sure that you have enough. You can also top any leftover squash with any kind of spaghetti sauce or other favorite pasta topping.
***I don't recommend mixing the chicken and pasta together with the sauce before serving, as that will cause the squash to release extra water.