Stuffed baby bella (cremini) mushrooms with a crunchy and flavorful filling punctuated with chopped walnuts and bacon. A truly special appetizer for any occasion
- 12 - 15 baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 2 slices uncooked bacon
- 2 TBS shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 TBS walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 TBS parsley, rinsed and chopped
- 2 TBS breadcrumbs
- 2 TBS cooking sherry
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a baking sheet and set aside.
- Rinse the mushrooms well and pat them dry. Remove the stems, finely chop, and set aside. Place the mushroom caps, top side down, on a lightly-sprayed baking sheet.
- In a medium-sized skillet, cook the bacon on medium low heat until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel to drain. Reserve about 2 tsp of the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the minced mushroom stems and chopped shallot to the pan. Cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Turn off the heat and add the walnuts, parsley, breadcrumbs, cooking sherry, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese. Crumble up the cooked bacon slices and add that to the mixture as well. Season lightly with salt and pepper and stir everything together. Taste the filling and adjust the salt and pepper as needed.
- Fill each mushroom cap with filling mixture - you want to have a dome of filling on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until filling is sizzling and slightly goldened and mushrooms have darkened.
- Serve immediately.
You can prepare the mushrooms in advance and keep them in the refrigerator until ready to bake (up to 24 hours)
Mushrooms are best eaten fresh, but you can reheat in the microwave under a damp paper towel for about 20 seconds. You could also chop up the leftovers and add to scrambled eggs or rice and pasta dishes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Starters
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
Keywords: appetizer, starter, stuffed mushroom, holidays