- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the diced butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- With mixer set to medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping the bowl with a non-stick spatula as needed.
- Only mix until ingredients are just incorporated - do not over beat.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter, about 2/3 full.
- Bake about 17 to 20 minutes (your oven may vary!) or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cupcakes may not be golden.
- Transfer immediately to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve at room temperature.