(Click to jump directly to recipe)
What Is Broccoli Cheddar Pie?
This savory pie - good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - is similar to a quiche, but instead of a pastry crust there is a bit of flour and baking powder added to the filling to give it a little extra oomph and sturdiness. Chopped fresh broccoli makes up the bulk of the vegetables, with red pepper added for extra flavor and color. There's also some onion and garlic in there, too, because I can think of few recipes that aren't improved by adding them. Oh, and of course cheese. I recommend using a strong flavorful cheese such as extra sharp cheddar.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Broccoli Cheddar Pie?
- Fresh broccoli, red bell pepper, onions, and garlic
- Milk of any kind
- Large eggs
- A good strong cheese, like extra sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- A bit of butter
- Flour, baking powder, and salt
If you want to substitute any ingredients, you can use shortening instead of butter, you can do half broccoli and half cauliflower, or you can use any color of bell pepper that you prefer. For the cheese, pepper jack would be a good substitute.
Can I Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Pie?
Yes, you can! Bake the pie and let it cool. Cover tightly with foil and then plastic wrap, being sure that it is airtight. Freeze for up to 3 months for best flavor, though it'll be safe to eat after that as long as it's kept fully frozen. To reheat, remove plastic and place frozen pie in a 350 degree oven until heated through.
This is an easy dinner recipe bursting with nutritious ingredients but still tasty and satisfying. Enjoy!
Recipe for Broccoli Cheddar PiePrint
Broccoli Cheddar Pie
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
A flavorful and colorful broccoli cheddar pie accented by red bell peppers and full of protein from the eggs.
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp butter
- ⅓ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1 ½ cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- While the oven is preheating, add 2 inches of salted water and the broccoli pieces to a large deep skillet and bring it to a boil. Let them cook for about 5 minutes, drain, and add the broccoli to the pie plate.
- Return the empty skillet to the stove and melt the 2 tsp of butter. Add the chopped onion and pepper and cook until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Add veggies to the pie plate and put the cheddar cheese on top.
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Cut in the 1 TBS cold butter. Add the eggs, whisking them in after each one, and then add the milk and whisk until combined. Pour the mixture over the cheese in the pie plate.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until pie is golden and the center is fully set. If the pie starts to get too brown during the baking process, cover with foil.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
Do you love this recipe and want to be able to find it later? Use the image below to pin to your Pinterest boards, or share with your friends on social media by using the buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you for visiting my blog!
Say Something About This Post: