Have you seen the new live action Beauty and the Beast? Yes? Well, I’m jealous of you. I’ve been dying to see it, but because we live so far from our family it is difficult to get an evening out without the wee ones. Neither one of them are even close to being ready to sit through a movie in the theater without making everyone else secretly hate us from all of the crying and whining and jumping around that would ensue, so for now I will live vicariously through others that tell me how amazing it is and how it’s the best Disney movie ever and so on and so forth.
Jealous. I’m jealous of all of you.
But what I can do, right here in my cozy lil’ office, is help out with a partnership between Dole and Disney aimed at helping parents encourage their families to make healthier eating choices. As part of this campaign, Dole products such as bananas, pineapples, salads, and vegetables have been branded with characters from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. While I believe in achieving a balance between healthy eating and occasional treats, I’m always on the lookout for ways to add healthy options to my kids’ meals. My son is at the right age to begin noticing licensed branding on products and will beg for items he sees in the grocery store based on what colorful characters are splashed onto the packaging.
This can cause quite the conundrum as the items that he sees are not always ones that I particularly want to be a part of his regular diet, though purchasing fruits and vegetables – ones that I already know he will eat – with “Booty and Bees!” on them (don’t you love toddler pronunciations?) is just fine and dandy with me.
Dole has shared several recipes inspired by characters in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and you can take a fun quiz to see which of the characters you most resemble. My result was The Beast, and my personality was described as: At first, you tend to be reserved around new people but slowly reveal more of the person inside. Like the Beast, you have a gentle heart deep within and are protective of the ones you love.
That’s quite accurate, actually.
The recipe inspired by The Beast is for these delicious spicy banana and shrimp crepes seen in the photo above. Here’s the recipe if you want to make them at home:
|Spicy Banana and Shrimp Crepes|| || |
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup sliced DOLE® Green Onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced red chili
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 firm DOLE Bananas, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 6 cups DOLE Spring Mix
- 16 DOLE Asparagus, cooked
- Ginger Dressing (recipe below)
- 4 store-bought or homemade crepe
- Ginger Dressing
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat sesame oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté green onions, garlic and red chili, about 2 minutes or until tender. Add shrimp and banana slices, cook 4 minutes or until shrimp turns pink. Remove and set aside.
- Toss spring mix and asparagus with Sesame-Ginger Vinaigrette, set aside.
- Place crepes on four serving plates. Position the spring mix and asparagus over half the crepe. Arrange the shrimp-banana mixture on top and fold over the crepe. Serve immediately.
- Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette
- Whisk together rice vinegar, water, and miso paste until blended.
- Stir in ginger, soy sauce, honey, canola oil, and sesame oil.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about ½ cup
Dole & Disney Reader Giveaway!
To help celebrate Dole’s Beauty in Healthy Living campaign in partnership with Disney, I have an amazing giveaway opportunity to share with all of you. This one is a two-parter, so listen closely. First, head over to https://doleliving.com/quiz/ and take the quiz to determine which Beauty and the Beast character most resembles your own personality. At the end of the quiz you will enter your name and email into a form that will automatically enter you for a chance to win the following:
- One (1) Grand Prize: One (1) travel package to the Orlando, Florida, area for winner and up to three (3) guests with roundtrip airfare, 5-day/4-night stay at a resort hotel, four (4) days of theme park tickets and four (4) days/nights of dining plans.
- Five (5) First Prizes: One (1) 13-piece Patina Vie Beauty and the Beast plate and glassware package and five (5) Dole fruit or vegetable coupons
- Ten (10) Second Prizes: each winner to receive a $50 movie gift card.
Got it? That’s step one. If you forgot, here’s the link https://doleliving.com/quiz/ So head on over there and get your quiz results, and then proceed to the step below.
Next, I have a special reader giveaway that’s just for readers of my blog. Use the widget below to tell me your quiz results and you will be entered to win this “Be Our Guest” Patina Vie Porcelain Tray as well as some coupons to redeem for Dole products like fresh fruits and veggies.
This giveaway (both the sweepstakes above and the Patina Vie tray and coupons) ends April 16th at 11:59pm PT.
Disclosure: I was provided product coupons and a small gift in return for sharing this information with our readers. Please see our About Us page for full information regarding sponsored content on this blog.