I do well with planning our meals each week, but sometimes I miscalculate how long leftovers will last and we find ourselves with an evening with no dinner plan. That’s when breakfast for dinner steps in and saves the day!
There’s always a carton of eggs in our refrigerator and some kind of Krusteaz breakfast mix in our pantry. Whether it’s the just-add-water pancakes, the Belgian waffles, or my favorite, the muffin mixes, we are never without a box of Krusteaz to round out a breakfast night.
Though I love to doctor a boxed mix to create fun shortcut recipes, I typically prepare Krusteaz pancakes as-is and pair them with a fun topping instead. I had some frozen strawberries in my freezer and about 15 minutes later this delicious strawberry orange topping was born.
You can use fresh or frozen strawberries to make this pancake sauce, and you can use pre-made orange juice or you can juice a fresh orange. I’ve left the amount of sugar variable so you can add it to taste – or leave it out entirely – based on the sweetness of the specific ingredients you end up using.
This sauce isn’t only good for pancakes though, you can spoon it over French toast or waffles, ice cream, pound cake, or a cheesecake!
|Strawberry Orange Pancake Topping|| || |
- ⅔ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 16 ounces strawberries, fresh or frozen (if fresh, wash and remove stems)
- 2-3 TBS white sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the orange juice and whisk in the cornstarch until fully combined. Add the strawberries and bring mixture to a very low boil so that it begins to thicken.
- Continue to cook until the strawberries soften, and then use the back of a big spoon to coarsely mash them against the side of the pan.
- Add the sugar 1 TBS at a time and stir to dissolve, then taste and add more sugar as needed until desired sweetness has been reached.
- Once the strawberries are soft and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Serve warm over pancakes. It would also be delicious on waffles, French toast, ice cream, or cheesecake! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Breakfast Night Baking Mix Giveaway!
Krusteaz has offered to gift one of my readers a prize pack of mixes so you can create your own breakfast night (and I hope it includes my strawberry topping!) Just use the widget below to enter. Giveaway is open to all U.S. readers and ends on Monday, February 26th. Use the widget below to enter and good luck!+
Save this recipe for later! Use the Pinterest-ready image below. Just hover your mouse over the image and click the button that pops up.