This is a meal that is ideal for either breakfast or dinner. It’s packed with flavor from healthy vegetables and lean turkey sausage. It makes you feel good when you eat it.
Topped with a nice salsa and the mild taste of crumbled queso fresco, this is such a satisfying meal. You can use whole wheat or low carb tortillas or even eat the filling and toppings in a bowl or wrapped with butter lettuce for even less carbs.
Your house will fill with wonderful smells as it is sizzling in the skillet, so don’t be surprised when your family members come wandering into the kitchen wondering what you’re making for dinner and, more importantly, how soon they get to dive in!
This recipe has been added to our “definitely will make again” list and I think it will be added to yours as well if you give it a go. Enjoy!
|Healthy Egg and Sausage Sweet Potato Burritos|| |
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potatoes - about one medium potato
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- Approx. 6 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 13oz fully-cooked link turkey sausage, diced
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 low-carb or whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- Approx. ¾ cup crumbled queso fresco (can use feta instead)
- Mild salsa, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, onion, and pepper and cook until softened, 6-7 minutes, while stirring frequently.
- Add the spinach and cook, while stirring, for an additional 1-2 minutes until wilted.
- Add the sausage and the beaten eggs and cook, frequently scraping the bottom of the skillet, until sausage is warmed and the eggs are cooked. Season with salt and pepper, taste, and adjust as needed.
- Spoon some salsa down the center of the tortillas, leaving room around the edges. Distribute the sausage filling on the tortillas and top with desired amount of queso fresco. Fold two edges of the tortilla in toward the center and then fold the remaining edges over, creating a closed burrito.
Pin this recipe to your dinner boards! Hover your mouse over the image below and click, “Pin it!”