Sloppy Joes are such a nostalgic meal for me, and I love them. But they can be a less-than-healthy dish, especially if you reach for the canned sauce mixes loaded with sodium and high fructose corn syrup.
And even though it’s a quick and easy dinner idea, even the homemade versions can included added sugars and higher fat/calorie ground beef. Indulging in your favorite meals occasionally isn’t a bad thing at all, but I wanted to try to rework this dish to be a more weekday-friendly, calorie and simple carb conscious meal.
This version of ground turkey sloppy joes turned out amazing and I didn’t miss any of the added sugars or even the beef. My husband and kids loved it as well, and with how easily and quickly I had it on the table and ready to eat, it’ll be going into our regular dinner rotation for sure.
You can serve them however you like – on a whole wheat bun or in a low carb wrap, top them with extra cheese and onions, add spinach or lettuce… fix them up the way you want and enjoy!
|Healthy Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes|| |
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped smaller (you can also use 8oz fresh button mushrooms)
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder (add an extra tsp if you like it more spicy)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 whole wheat buns or low-carb tortillas
- Extra onions, baby spinach, lettuce, or cheese for topping - optional
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey until no pink remains, breaking it apart into little pieces with the spatula as it cooks.
- Add the onions and the mushrooms and cook until the onions are softened, 5-6 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and tomato paste and stir until the paste and broth are combined.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for an additional 15-20 minutes to allow the flavor to develop. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve on whole wheat buns or wrapped in low carb tortillas, topped and dressed as desired
Pin this recipe to your dinner ideas boards! Hover your mouse over the image below and click, “Pin it!”