Caprese skewers with tortellini are a variation of the traditional caprese salad that adds another layer of flavor and texture by incorporating cooked and marinated tortellini pasta. These skewers are a fun and appetizing way to enjoy the classic caprese ingredients in a bite-sized format.
What is Caprese?
Caprese is a popular Italian salad that typically consists of three main ingredients: tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. The salad is named after the island of Capri in Italy, where it is believed to have originated.
Traditionally, caprese salad is made by layering thick slices of ripe tomatoes with equally thick slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. The salad is then garnished with fresh basil leaves and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Sometimes, a sprinkle of salt and pepper is added for flavor enhancement. The combination of ripe tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and aromatic basil creates a delightful and refreshing flavor profile.
Caprese salad is often served as an appetizer or as a light main course during the summer months when tomatoes are in season. It is a simple yet elegant dish that showcases the freshness and quality of the ingredients. Variations of caprese salad can include additional ingredients such as balsamic vinegar, avocado, or prosciutto, but the classic version remains the most popular.
I decided to transform the traditional appetizer salad into these caprese skewers with tortellini to beef them up a bit. They're really delicious!
What Kind Of Tortellini To Use In These Skewers
If you love creating your own tortellini and want to make your own and stuff it with all sorts of yummies, go for it!! I chose the shortcut route for this recipe and purchased pre-made and pre-stuffed tortellini.
I used tortellini stuffed with cheese and chicken, but you can use any variety you like... three-cheese would be fantastic!
The cooked tortellini adds a satisfying and filling element to the traditional caprese combination. It provides a soft and chewy texture, complementing the juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and aromatic basil. The drizzle of homemade balsamic dressing is a lovely extra burst of flavor.
Need another side dish? Try These Cast Iron Roasted Potatoes!
Ingredients Needed For Caprese Skewers With Tortellini
Here's what you'll need to get started. Make sure to choose ripe tomatoes and the freshest basil you can find (we grow our own, it's so easy!)
- Ripe cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mozzarella, torn into marble-sized pieces
- Stuffed tortellini
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Wooden skewers, full or half-size
You May Like These Stuffed Mushrooms with Bacon, too!
Step By Step Process
If you can boil water, you can make these skewers with no problem. They look and taste pretty and fancy without any specialized skills needed in the kitchen. Here's what to do! (pssst... the recipe card below has the full ingredient list and detailed process - this is just the overview)
- Whisk together the balsamic dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Boil and drain tortellini according to package instructions. Let it cool a few minutes just so it's not piping hot.
- Mix half of the dressing with the tortellini, cover, and refrigerate overnight to let all of the yummy flavors soak into the pasta.
- Assemble the skewers, alternating tomatoes with basil leaves, mozzarella, and stuffed tortellini. Use as much or as little per skewer as you want.
- Drizzle assembled caprese tortellini skewers with remaining dressing.
That's literally all you do! Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
The Best Cherry Tomatoes For Caprese Skewers
There's nothing more disappointing than a bland and hard cherry tomato, so make sure you shop smart when choosing tomatoes for your tortellini skewers. Turn the container over and around and make sure most of the tomatoes are deep and vibrant in color. If you're able to touch them (if they aren't already sealed) they should have a little give to them, but not be mushy.
Helpful Tools To Create This Recipe
If you have a kitchen stocked with the basics, you probably already have everything you need to craft your own caprese skewers with tortellini!
- Mixing Bowls - I absolutely love this set of glass bowls and use them daily.
- Pan - for boiling the pasta.
- Colander - for draining the tortellini
- Whisk - for combining the balsamic dressing ingredients. You can also put it in a Mason jar and shake, shake, shake!
- Wooden Skewers - pick your size!
If you have any leftover caprese skewers, simply pop them into the refrigerator into an airtight container for 1-2 days. They'll still be safe to eat a little longer than that, but your basil leaves will start getting a little wilted at that point.Print
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use homemade stuffed tortellini? Yes, absolutely, and it will be delicious! You can make this recipe super homemade by not only making your own pasta, but also making your own fresh mozzarella.
- Can I use jarred balsamic vinaigrette if I don't have the ingredients to make my own? Absolutely, any balsamic dressing will do. You could even so super simple and use balsamic vinegar and olive oil all by itself.
- Can these skewers be made in advance? Yes, but I wouldn't make them earlier than, say, the morning of an afternoon or evening serving time.
Don't miss out on this recipe - make sure you can find it later! Use the image below to Pin to your Pinterest boards. You can also share this post on your favorite social media outlet by using the buttons at the top and bottom of the content.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!