Apple-flavored ice cream layered with ribbons of caramel, this caramel apple ice cream combines a favorite fall sweet with a favorite summer treat.
What Ingredients Do I Need?
This ice cream uses a classic cooked custard base that is churned with a sweet apple puree and layered with caramel. Here's what you'll need on hand:
- Heavy Cream and Whole Milk - don't have either? Use 2 cups of half and half instead
- Sugar - I just use plain white sugar, but you can use brown (packed) for some extra richness.
- Egg Yolks - the key to a thick, creamy ice cream base.
- Apples - choose ones that are sweet and strongly flavored (Honeycrisp is great)
- Lemon Juice - just a bit to bring out the flavor of the apples, but you can leave it out if you don't have any
- Vanilla Extract - flavors the ice cream base
- Caramel - I used premade ice cream topping caramel, but you can make your own if you want.
Do I Need Any Special Equipment?
You will need any standard ice cream maker to create this caramel apple ice cream. If you have been intimidated by the idea of making homemade ice cream, I promise you that it is not difficult! Once you've made your first batch, you'll want to make more and more. Ice cream makers are SO easy to use. There's an "on" switch and an "off" switch. That's it. All you have to do is remember to put the included freezer bowl into the freezer the night before you make the ice cream.
While this ice cream can be made without a candy thermometer, I recommend one because it takes the guesswork out of making the ice cream base. It just makes things easier!
Here is the ice cream maker and style of thermometer I use:
Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (shop now)
Candy Thermometer with Pot Clip (shop now)
Additionally, you will need a fine mesh strainer (like this one) to remove lumps from the custard. You will also need something to blend the apples with, such as a regular blender or a food processor (in a pinch you could also use an immersion blender)
How To Serve
Caramel apple ice cream is delicious served straight from the container or topped with additional caramel. Serve it in a dish or stuffed into a crunchy waffle cone. You could also scoop it up alongside a slice of cake, such as this classic sour cream pound cake.
However you choose to serve, I know this caramel apple ice cream will be a winner in your home. Let me know in the comments what you think if you give this recipe a try. Enjoy!Print
Caramel Apple Ice Cream
- Total Time: 30 minutes + chilling and freezing
Sweet apple vanilla ice cream layered with ribbons of caramel sauce. Fall meets summer in one delicious treat!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup white sugar, divided
- 1 TBS pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 medium sweet apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp lemon juice (optional)
- ½ cup (or more) of caramel sauce, such as jarred ice cream topping.
- Place the apples, ¼ cup of sugar, and lemon juice into a saucepan and stir. Turn heat to medium low and allow to cook until the apples have softened and sugar has dissolved.
- While the apples are cooking, begin making the custard. In another saucepan, add the cream and milk and heat on low until steaming. Do not allow to boil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining ½ cup of sugar. When the cream and milk is steaming, temper the eggs by adding ½ cup of the hot mixture to the eggs, a little at a time, while whisking constantly.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture back into the rest of the hot milk and cream on the stove and stir. Fit pot with candy thermometer.
- Increase heat to medium and heat to 170F. To test for doneness, dunk a spoon into the custard. The mixture should coat the back of the spoon, and when you run your finger across the spoon, the streak should remain.
- Stir in vanilla extract and remove from heat. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into another clean bowl to remove any lumps and allow to cool. When custard is no longer hot, cover with plastic wrap (let the wrap touch the top of the custard to prevent a skin from forming) and chill for several hours, ideally overnight.
- Place cooked apples into a food processor or blender and pulse/blend until completely smooth.
- When custard is chilled, churn in ice cream maker according to the instructions on your machine. Near the end of the churning process, pour in 1 generous cup of the apple puree and let the machine continue to churn until finished. (save any remaining puree for topping, eat it by itself, or discard)
- Remove churning paddle and spread a layer of ice cream into a freezer safe container. Top with a layer of caramel, and then another layer of ice cream. Repeat until all of the ice cream has been transferred into the container.
- Freeze ice cream until firm.
Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker
Fine Mesh Strainer
You can use 2 cups of half and half instead of the milk and cream.
You can leave out the lemon juice - it is used to enhance the flavor of the apples.
Make sure your apples are pureed as smooth as possible to reduce little frozen pieces in the ice cream (it will make it have a more clumpy texture)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes + chilling and freezing
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer and Stovetop
Keywords: ice cream, apples, caramel, caramel apples, frozen
Do you love this recipe and want to be able to find it later? Use the image below to pin to your Pinterest boards, or share with your friends on social media by using the buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you for visiting my blog!
Say Something About This Post: