Apple-flavored ice cream layered with ribbons of caramel, this caramel apple ice cream combines a favorite fall sweet with a favorite summer treat.
What Ingredients Do I Need?
This ice cream uses a classic cooked custard base that is churned with a sweet apple puree and layered with caramel. Here's what you'll need on hand:
- Heavy Cream and Whole Milk - don't have either? Use 2 cups of half and half instead
- Sugar - I just use plain white sugar, but you can use brown (packed) for some extra richness.
- Egg Yolks - the key to a thick, creamy ice cream base.
- Apples - choose ones that are sweet and strongly flavored (Honeycrisp is great)
- Lemon Juice - just a bit to bring out the flavor of the apples, but you can leave it out if you don't have any
- Vanilla Extract - flavors the ice cream base
- Caramel - I used premade ice cream topping caramel, but you can make your own if you want.
Do I Need Any Special Equipment?
You will need any standard ice cream maker to create this caramel apple ice cream. If you have been intimidated by the idea of making homemade ice cream, I promise you that it is not difficult! Once you've made your first batch, you'll want to make more and more. Ice cream makers are SO easy to use. There's an "on" switch and an "off" switch. That's it. All you have to do is remember to put the included freezer bowl into the freezer the night before you make the ice cream.
While this ice cream can be made without a candy thermometer, I recommend one because it takes the guesswork out of making the ice cream base. It just makes things easier!
Here is the ice cream maker and style of thermometer I use:
Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (shop now)
Candy Thermometer with Pot Clip (shop now)
Additionally, you will need a fine mesh strainer (like this one) to remove lumps from the custard. You will also need something to blend the apples with, such as a regular blender or a food processor (in a pinch you could also use an immersion blender)
How To Serve
Caramel apple ice cream is delicious served straight from the container or topped with additional caramel. Serve it in a dish or stuffed into a crunchy waffle cone. You could also scoop it up alongside a slice of cake, such as this classic sour cream pound cake.
However you choose to serve, I know this caramel apple ice cream will be a winner in your home. Let me know in the comments what you think if you give this recipe a try. Enjoy!Print
Do you love this recipe and want to be able to find it later? Use the image below to pin to your Pinterest boards, or share with your friends on social media by using the buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you for visiting my blog!