A delicious and filling meal, this chicken and potato bake uses petite gold potatoes, multi-color bell peppers, onion, and cooked chicken to create a delightful dish.
Why You Should Make This
This is an easy, colorful, and filling dinner that is made all in one pan and topped off with just the right amount of melted cheesy goodness. This chicken and potato bake has hearty ingredients that can be a meal all on their own or alongside a green salad and dinner rolls.
... I Hate Chopping Vegetables
I do, too. I really, really do. Here are some tips for making vegetable chopping less of a chore:
- Use a sharp knife. I can't stress how much a razor sharp knife will change your veggie chopping experience. Invest in at least one good knife and keep it sharpened. This WUSTHOF knife is a well-respected workhouse of a knife and is worth the investment.
- Chop ahead of time. You can chop the bell peppers and onion ahead of time and keep them stored in the fridge until ready to toss the dish together. When pre-chopping potatoes, store the cut pieces covered in cold water in the refrigerator, and only chop them about a day in advance.
WUSTHOF Kitchen Knives Are Amazing (buy here)
Skip down to the recipe to see the full ingredient list for this chicken and potato bake. Here are some substitutions you can make:
- Bell Peppers: Use any combination of colors you want
- Potatoes: Use red potatoes instead of petite gold.
- Garlic: If you don't have fresh garlic, substitute with ¾ tsp of garlic powder
- Chicken: You guys love recipes using cooked chicken (hello, convenient grocery store rostisseries!) so that's what I used in this recipe. You can use 1 ½ lbs of raw chicken breast, cut into cubes and added in with the vegetables at the beginning of the bake.
Also, feel free to experiment with different combinations of herbs and seasonings!
Is This Recipe Freezer Friendly?
As written, this is not a good recipe to use as a freezer meal because raw and cut potatoes do not freeze well without blanching or par-cooking them first.
I hope you enjoy this fun and delicious recipe!Print
Chicken And Potato Bake
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
This is an easy weeknight dinner with lots of color and filling ingredients!
- 1 ½lbs petite gold potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 cup sweet onion, cut into thin slices
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle on the paprika and generous shakes of salt and pepper.
- Stir or toss with clean hands until everything is well-coated in the oil and spices.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring once or twice so the top doesn't get too brown.
- Remove from oven, add the cooked chicken, and stir until the pieces are coated with the seasonings. Bake for an addition 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven again, top with cheese, and place back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Serve warm.
You can use all breast or a mixture of breast, thigh, and leg meat. Cooked chicken pulled from a hot rotisserie chicken from your grocery store works great for this, as does using up leftover chicken from other recipes!
If you don't have fresh garlic, use ¾ tsp of garlic powder or 2 tsp of minced garlic in the jar.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
Do you love this recipe and want to be able to find it later? Use the image below to pin to your Pinterest boards, or share with your friends on social media by using the buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you for visiting my blog!
Say Something About This Post: