This tasty casserole is hearty enough as a meal on its own, or serve up smaller portions alongside your favorite side dishes. While you won't be missing out on any flavor here, this dish is low carb and calorie controlled, with around 350 calories per serving!
This easy casserole recipe fits in a standard Pyrex pie dish and makes 6 generous servings. Cabbage is an amazing way to add some roughage and bulk to a low carb dish, and I love the method of cooking the shredded cabbage in a skillet until it first begins to soften before baking. That way the cabbage is nice and tender but doesn't get too mushy.
Keep the carbs low by pairing this with a salad or some green veggies, or you can toast up some buttery bread to serve on the side.
The eggs, cottage cheese, and chicken make this one protein-loaded and filling dinner entree. It's also a great way to use up some leftover cooked chicken, or you can pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and that will do nicely.
Let me know what you think if you give it a try - enjoy!Print
Easy Chicken Cabbage Casserole
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded or cut into thin strips
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded or cut into small pieces
- 1 cup low fat small curd cottage cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp dried parsley, plus more for topping
- ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. add the cabbage and onion and cook until starting to soften but before it begins to turn brown. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the chicken breast, cottage cheese, sour cream, and parsley. Add the cheddar cheese and beaten eggs and mix until combined.
- Spread mixture into a glass pie-plate. Top with Parmesan cheese and more parsley if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
Save this post for later! Pin this recipe to your Pinterest dinner ideas boards. Hover your mouse over the image below and click the button that pops up.
Made this last night and we were amazed it turned out so good. I used purple cabbage we had. It was very flavorful. Thanks for a great recipe . Definitely will make again or keep recipe in our recipe book. We are always making something different so don't know when we repeat buy recipe is definitely a keeper.
Yay! So happy it turned out well for you!
can this be frozen for serving later
I was looking for a new recipe to use up a cabbage I had left over in the fridge. I used a large chicken breast and shredded the meat. Used about 1/3 of the cabbage and all other ingredients. Baked as per instructions and we liked it alot. I think when I make it again I'll add some carrots or green beans for a little color!!
That's a great idea! This is a great meal for using up extra cabbage. Thanks for sharing!
Nancy A Eckert
My husband loved it. Just added cumin and it was perfect.
Ooh yummy! Glad he loved it!
For some reason, I ALWAYS have leftover cabbage in my fridge and never know what to do with it aside from making coleslaw. I love this idea - will definitely be giving this recipe a go 🙂
Haha, right?? I get stuck on coleslaw, too, when I think of cabbage, but I love cooked cabbage sooo much!
Carmelized cabbage as a side dish goes with almost everything.