With the onset of blood orange season, I had to pick up a big bag of this gorgeous citrus fruit. I’ve been having fun figuring out ways to use it. Blood oranges have an incredible complex flavor compared to “normal” oranges – less acidic with a taste I’ve heard described as being closer to a berry than a citrus. I chose to add the juice and zest directly to the wine as well as letting some slices of the fruit mull together.
Put it together while you’re preparing dinner and it’ll be ready as you settle into your evening. Enjoy!
|Blood Orange Mulled Wine|| |
- 1 bottle merlot or similar fruity red wine
- 2 TBS brandy
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 blood oranges, 1 juiced and zested, 1 sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Add merlot, brandy, sugar, blood orange juice and zest, blood orange slices, and cinnamon sticks in a pot. Bring to a low simmer and allow to mull for at least an hour. Serve warm.
- If using a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and cook on "Low" for 2-3 hours.
- For either method, do not allow mixture to boil.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest boards using the image below!