I made this salad for a camping trip a couple of weeks ago when I wanted something a little more interesting than chips to go with our easy dinner of roast beef wraps. I mixed everything together the morning of our trip and then just tossed it into the camper’s fridge in a tupperware container. By the time we ate it later that evening the flavors had melded together nicely.
This salad is a common recipe that can be found on a can of kidney beans or circulating around many recipe blogs and websites. The combination of sweet apple with the mild beans and tang of red wine vinegar is so refreshing! It was the perfect way to “dress up” an otherwise simple dinner.
The only change I made to the original recipe is adding an additional 1/4 cup of chopped apple. I wanted more of the sweet fruit flavor and hey, we love fresh apples in this house!
|Fall Harvest Bean Salad|| |
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 TBS toasted walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped sweet apple
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- If your walnut pieces are not already toasted, spread them onto an ungreased cookie sheet in a single layer and bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes or until fragrant.
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour to allow flavors to develop.
- Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator.
Here’s a handy Pinterest-optimized image for you if you want to save this recipe for later – just hover your mouse over the image and click “Pin it”!