With a teeny bit of planning, my slow cooker easily becomes my favorite piece of equipment in the kitchen. There is nothing better than throwing ingredients into a pot in the morning and having a hot, fragrant dinner ready to go by day’s end.
I originally found this recipe on SkinnyTaste and though I did make a few very minor changes, the original recipe is mostly intact.
Let’s get started! This won’t take long, trust me..
First you’ll grab some spices. This here is onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne.
In the bottom of your crock pot, throw in some frozen corn, a can of Rotel, a can of black beans, a can of chicken broth, and your spices. Layer boneless skinless chicken breasts on top, sprinkle with salt, and cover the slow cooker with a lid.
That’s it! Let that puppy cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. The last step is removing the cooked chicken, shredding it, and putting it right back in the pot and giving it a good stir. That’s it!
There are many different ways you could serve this dish. I measured out a serving and ate it in a bowl with a small amount of light sour cream, light shredded cheese, and garnished with the chopped green onion.
Matt prefers eating his on small corn tortillas (this will add about 50 calories per tortilla to the calorie count listed below)
You could also serve this over rice, or with some cooked quinoa on the side. Lots of options for this quick and easy weeknight dinner!
- 1.5 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)
- 15 oz can black beans
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 or 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, Rotel, and spices in a slow cooker.
- Lay chicken breasts on top and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker, shred, then return to the pot and stir.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Garnish with chopped onion, sour cream, shredded cheese, or whatever you like