Sweet potatoes are the most frequently consumed vegetable in this house, mainly because it's something that, no matter how I prepare it, my kids will eat. Luckily, there are so many ways to prepare sweet potatoes, both sweet and savory, and this Southwestern version was a huge hit and made for a satisfying meal.
I'm not above popping potatoes into the microwave to bake them up quickly, but there's nothing like the texture you get from having the patience to bake them in the oven. That crisp skin and butter soft inside... yum!
The black bean mixture on the inside adds a filling mix of protein and flavor that makes these potatoes a meal all on their own. Enjoy!Print
Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 4 potatoes 1x
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For serving: chopped fresh parsley and sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Prick sweet potatoes all over and place on a foil-lined baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 45min - 1 hour, or when a butter knife can easily be inserted through to the center of the potato.
- When the potatoes have about 15 minutes to go, heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until transclucent. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add the beans, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook on medium low until beans are heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise and use a fork to fluff up the insides a bit. Spoon desired amount of bean mixture over the potatoes and top with sour cream and parsley.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
Save this recipe to your Pinterest boards! Hover your mouse over the image below.
Say Something About This Post: