These easy cookie bars are a delicious way to use up the last of this holiday's eggnog, or you can keep it around until next year!
Cookie bars are my favorite go-to recipes when I need to whip up something sweet without the hassle of rolling or spooning out individual cookies. These eggnog cookies are full of holiday spices and use a bit of eggnog in the dough instead of milk. Before being baked, they get an extra sprinkle of sugar and ground nutmeg to enhance that Christmassy flavor.
Since the bars are so thick I didn't want to risk drying them out, so I purposely underbaked them just a tad - enough to keep the centers a little soft and doughy.
Then to finish things off and to kick up the eggnog flavor even more, I covered them in a simple eggnog glaze. These will be fine at room temperature sitting out for a holiday party, but you'll need to refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container. Try heating one up in the microwave for a few seconds and enjoy it with your cup of coffee the next morning - so good!Print
Glazed Eggnog Cookie Bars
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 22-24 bars 1x
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup eggnog
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cloves
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Extra white sugar and ground nutmeg for sprinkling
- FOR GLAZE:
- 3 TBS eggnog
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a light metal 9x13 baking dish
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.
- Add the eggnog and eggs and beat until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the 2 cups sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in several additions, mixing until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared dish and sprinkle generously with white sugar and ground nutmeg.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until light golden and the middle is just set. A toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out with a few moist crumbs. You want the middle to be set, but not overbaked. Your oven may vary the bake times.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3 TBS eggnog and powdered sugar. Drizzle over cooled bars, cut into squares, and serve.
- Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Here's a Pinterest-friendly image you can use for saving this recipe for later!
Say Something About This Post: