I made a batch of simple and classic M&M cookie bars for Matt's birthday to go along with some homemade birthday cake ice cream. I find myself preferring to make cookie bars over regular cookies. It's just so much easier to get a thicker cookie without having to worry about them spreading out too much in the oven as they bake. I like when my time in the kitchen is made as foolproof as possible.
The only thing better than a bowl of cookie dough is a bowl of cookie dough filled with colorful M&M's. I want to dig right in with a spoon.
Just look at all that happiness!
I used a 9x13 pan and pulled them out of the oven when they were just a touch underdone, with a golden (but still soft) top and edges that are just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cookie bars tend to stiffen and crisp up once they've been cut and stored, so I find that leaving them a lil doughy helps lengthen the amount of time they stay soft.Print
Classic M&M Cookie Bars
- Total Time: 35 mins
- 2 cups + 2 TBS all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 sticks of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 12oz bag of M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a second bowl, whisk white and brown sugar with the melted butter until combined.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Gently fold in 1 cup of M&Ms.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and level out the top.
- Sprinkle remaining M&Ms on top and press down lightly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until top is slightly golden and edges are just beginning to pull away from the pan.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Say Something About This Post: