Tender, oven-baked sweet potatoes with crispy skin stuffed with barbecue chicken and your favorite toppings. This is such a simple dinner idea, yet it’s so delicious and satisfying.
Now, you could absolutely bake the potatoes in the microwave if you’re short on time, but if you have the chance to do them in the oven, it’s so worth it. The flesh of the potato takes on a whole new dimension, the flavors develop, the texture is perfectly tender, and the skin gets crispy. They’re uh-mazing.
These stuffed sweet potatoes are easily customized. You can cook the chicken however you please, or this recipe is a great way to use up some leftover chicken from another meal. Use your favorite barbecue sauce and top with your favorite toppings – I like to keep it simple with some diced raw red onion. Some jalapenos, banana peppers, or even a good cole slaw would be delicious as well.
Sweet potatoes are such a perfect and versatile complex carbohydrate to add to every meal. This is another idea for using this fantastic vegetable that you can keep in your back pocket. Enjoy!
|BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes|| |
- 4-5 medium sweet potatoes
- Olive oil for rubbing
- Butter for potatoes - about 1 tsp per potato
- About 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken breast (see notes), warmed
- ½ - ¾ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Toppings - chopped red onion, pickled jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, cole slaw, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Scrub sweet potatoes with water and pat dry. Carefully, prick the potatoes several times on all sides with a knife. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil and rub all over each potato. Place the potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until the insides are very soft, 40-50 minutes.
- Cut open each potato, add about 1 tsp of butter per potato and use a fork to fluff up the flesh of the potato and mix in the butter.
- Mixed desired amount of barbecue sauce into the chicken. Top potatoes with chicken and any desired toppings.
Do you like this recipe and want to be able to find it later? Please consider pinning it to your Pinterest boards or sharing on social media. Thank you so much for visiting.