Man, this is an easy dinner idea that came together kind of by accident, but I’m so glad it did. It’s surprisingly low calorie (see nutrition facts below the recipe) for how filling it is and it doesn’t take long at all to prepare.
The only prepping you’ll need to do includes peeling and dicing up the sweet potatoes, and even then, you can buy bags of pre-diced sweet potatoes at most grocery stores. You’ll also need to slice up your sausage, which is easy peasy. After that, it’s just dumping things into a skillet and letting it cook!
This is a great make-ahead meal, because the leftovers taste even better after it has had time to sit and let the flavors meld together.
Add this one to your dinner rotation soon and you’ll be hooked. Enjoy!
|Healthy Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Black Bean Skillet|| |
- Cooking spray of choice
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small ½ inch cubes (keep them small!)
- 8 oz smoked turkey sausage, fully cooked (I buy link sausage), sliced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp of cayenne (omit for less spice)
- 1 15 oz can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12oz bag of frozen cauliflower rice, steamed in bag according to package
- 1 cup medium or spicy salsa
- ¼ - ½ cup broth of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions, cheddar cheese, and sour cream for topping - optional
- In a large nonstick skillet prepared with cooking spray, cook the sweet potatoes over medium heat until about halfway done.
- Add the sausage and allow to heat through an extra 1-2 minutes, then add the onion powder, cayenne, black beans, steamed cauliflower rice, and salsa. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth starting with ¼ cup and adding more if you feel the mixture needs more moisture. Cook till broth is fully heated into the mixture, taste and adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, etc) as desired.
- Serve warm with toppings if using.
Note: Nutrition facts do not include any additional toppings (cheese, sour cream, etc)
Pin this recipe to your dinner boards! Use the pretty image below. Also, it would be amazing if you would share this recipe on your favorite social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, wherever you like to hang out. Thank you!