This homemade Bold Chex Mix has an extra sassy sauce for those who like their snack mix with a little more gumption. You can customize this recipe with your favorite crunchy ingredients - your biggest problem will be keeping everyone's hands out of the bowl before your holiday gatherings!
What Makes This Recipe Different?
This bold Chex mix simply takes the usual ingredients found in the traditional version and just adds... more of it! I like my Chex mix bold and zesty, and this one gets the job done. You can prepare this snack mix in the oven or the microwave. Either way, it's just so easy!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Rice & Corn Chex Cereal: The building blocks of any Chex mix, of course. Many people use wheat chex as well, but I've found that they get kind of chewy and tough when coated with the sauce, so I always leave them out.
- Cheese Crackers: Several years ago I started adding Cheez-its or Goldfish to my Chex mixes, and I've never looked back since. If you haven't tried it before, you'll love it!
- Pretzels: I like the mini twists instead of the sticks, but any shape will work. Use your favorite!
- Unsalted Butter: There's a bit of salt that gets added in the sauce, so I always use unsalted butter to avoid overpowering the mix.
- Worcestershire Sauce: The defining flavor in any traditional Chex mix, but this recipe uses even more of it!
- Onion and Garlic Powder: These flavors work well with the Worcestershire and beef up the savory goodness in the mix.
- Seasoned Salt: A spiced up salt that contains spices and, usually, the teeny tiniest bit of sweetness, but it won't make your bold Chex mix sweet.
- Paprika: My secret little ingredient, just a tiny pinch of regular (not smoked) paprika adds a tiny sweet chili bite.
What Other Mix-Ins Can I Use?
The beauty of Chex mix is that you can use all kinds of fun crunchy snacks - there's really no wrong way to play. If you choose to use different items in your mix than the ones listed in the recipe card below, just make sure that you keep the overall amounts similar to ensure you have enough sauce to cover all of the ingredients.
For example, if you want to add in a cup of peanuts, use less pretzels or cheese crackers.
Try some of these ideas:
- Bugles: I highly recommend throwing Bugles into a Chex mix sometime. They are amazing!
- Cheerios: Yeah, it seems weird, but Cheerios do a great job of soaking in lots of that buttery sauce. They become little flavor bombs in your mix.
- Nuts: I like using cocktail peanuts or cashews!
- Bagel Chips: Or pita chips, rye chips, etc. These are also great for soaking in all of that flavorful sauce.
Can I Make Chex Mix In the Microwave?
Yes, you can! The microwave method is especially helpful when making Chex mix near the holidays when oven space is a hot commodity
How To Microwave Bold Chex Mix: You will need a large microwave-safe mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and toss them together. Drizzle with the sauce made in step 3 of the recipe. Drizzle the sauce into the bowl and stir well until the cereal is combined. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, stopping the microwave every 2 minutes to give the Chex mix a good stir.
Microwaving? You'll need a big mixing bowl like this one!
Not making your bold chex mix just yet? Save this recipe and find it easily later by using the photo below to Pin to your Pinterest boards! Also, I always appreciate sharing my recipes on social media using the buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you for visiting!